Tuesday 22 April 2014

Evaluation- Question 2: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillarytexts?


When initially deciding how I wanted to present my ancillary texts, I knew that in order for the CD cover and website to look professional but also successful, I had to create a house style making them relate to one another as websites and digipaks are usually used to advertise the music video, therefore meaning that the audience will be able to identify the CD/website if they have already seen the website/CD. When filming my video I ensured that I took still images from the footage such as the trees and the water so that I could create cohesion between the music video and the ancillary texts. For example, I ensured that the same white lace dress was featured in the music video and on my ancillary texts although the main artist is not featured in the music video. 




When initially creating my digipak I looked at existing products that reflected the indie folk genre and found that the majority combined unusual and intriguing imagery. From this knowledge I gained from research, I knew I had to ensure that my ancillary texts incorporated these ideas but also ensured that they was based around my main product which is mainly narrative based and incorporated various parts of ideology of the indie folk genre. I also found when researching the genre of indie folk that these type of genres heavily focus on nature and earth and have natural aspects for their music videos and their other promotions. As well as this, I found that these promotional products also feature minimalistic illustrations and simplistic to gain the readers attention. The websites follow the same pattern and combined with digipaks they usually are imaginative incorporating earthly colourings such as brown, green and white. To recreate this look with my promotional products, I took images of my artist on a field near my house and edited her and the setting so that they blended nicely together, This combined with my music video which is heavily focused on overlayered shots and nature and simplistic it's I feel that my three products blend well although the artist does not feature in the music video. 
One way of continuing continuity throughout my media products was by using the same double exposure style shots and incorporating them within my music video. By using these types of
shots within my ancillary texts it created a ghostly atmosphere and matched the melancholy of the music video through the use of the brown/dark colourings and the use of the field setting gave an eerie feel to my edited images. I created these images by changing the opacity of the images from 100% to around 43% ensuring that all images where used.
 When creating my ancillary texts, I ensured that I took plenty of images photoshoot one and photoshoot two  of the talent that featured in my music video to make sure that I had continuity straight away. By making sure I took several images I didn’t want my artist to be in the same position every time otherwise I wouldn’t have many different ideas for what to use on my ancillary texts.
After sorting through the images that I felt could be used on my digipak and website, I began to edit the images using Adobe Photoshop CS5 and the free editing software GIMP to make sure that I could adapt them to fit in with the indie folk genre and appeal to my target audience. For the main image on my website I decided to use this image of my artist looking into the distance.
I chose this image as I believed it looked as though my artist was longing for something or determined which I felt continued the theme of what my music video is aiming to achieve, therefore linking the website and the music video together. I also felt that it was up to my target audience own interpretations of the image to decide what we’re happening in the image.
The next stage of production was to experiment with different font styles for my digipak, as well as deciding on different artist/album names which I thought showed how my ancillary texts had developed from my initial ideas. I tried several times positioning the text in different places and in different font styles to make my digipak look the most effective with the positioning not making the digipak too cluttered or not blend well. Originally, I wasn’t sure whether to include the artists name/ album name on the digipak front cover because I believed that it would overpower the main image. However, I realised that it was essential so that my target audience would be able to identify Luna as an artist and without it, it wouldn’t be as conventional. I also decided it would be best to include this after gaining audience feedback suggesting I still included it and that it would make my product look more realistic.
Eventually after much research, I decided to name my artist ‘Luna’ as I felt it reflected the indie folk conventions of nature and simplicity. I also felt that by naming my artist Luna it related to its meaning of moon and would be a great feature to include on the digipak making my artist more memorable and realistic. I named the album ‘Whisper’ because I felt that it would relate to the indie folk genre which is conventionally known as being acoustic ‘quiet’ music. I also believed that by naming the album Whisper as I felt that the word whisper has connotations of secrets and lies which also links to friendship and betrayal. By naming the album this, it flows with the music video which central focus is of losing yourself or something, Once applying the artists name and album name to the digipak and website, I thought that it made both my promotional products look quite effective and realistic. 
Focusing on the back of the digipak, I included the artist’s website/record label information for the audience to be able to search her website and contact her management team.
I then decided to create the website with the information of naming the artist Luna and the album name Whisper so that the audience would be able to use web 2.o and interact with the artist and keep up to date with headline news. I then decided on the website to include a iTunes button on my website so that the audience could instantly access my artists music via the iTunes link.
  I then also decided to add a small image of my album cover onto my website so that it would be possible for the target audience to familiarize themselves with the digipak on the website and it is also quite conventional to have digipaks featured on the website. This also serves the purpose if they haven’t already seen the digipak and wish to purchase it. I also believed that my including the digipak album on the website it ensured that the target audience would be able to connect the digipak and website together making it easier for them to purchase the album.
Overall, I wanted to make sure that all my three products linked in the form of the ideology I was trying
to create with the natural scenery behind my model in the images I have used. I also felt by having my model in a natural setting it would represent the simplistic natural convention that is found in indie folk music. By creating a simplistic music video with simplistic designed digipak and website they flow well together.                                                                                                                                                    

 To further create my digipak, I decided to use the main image of my digipak to create a base theme for what I wanted within my digipak. I also thought that incorporating the same colour brown which has connotations of earthy nature which links perfectly with the indie folk genre.
I experimented with different layers of my images on the digipak template using GIMP as well as different styles of font and the positioning of the text. By using the trees image I had taken, I changed the opacity of the images so that I got a overlaying effect which was commented on as being unconventional from my audience feedback. This created a transparent effect matching the front cover of the digipak.
I found creating the digipak was difficult as I had to ensure that all my images matched a d linked together effectively so that as a whole the digipak linked together. As well as this I had to make sure that my digipak worked effectively as a whole with the website so to does this I used the same colour theme (dark browns and overlays) which I thought worked effectively actually and used this over the two pieces to achieve this style.

No comments:

Post a Comment