Monday 21 April 2014

Theories That Can Be Applied To My Promotional Package

The Binary Opposites theory suggested by Levi Strauss suggests that there is contrasts between two things such as good/bad, light and dark. In the case of my music video,  I would be unable to have a protagonist and a antagonist as there is only one girl. However, it could be suggested that the girl has two sides her innocent side and her darker side which is shown through the mise en scene. The black clothing symbolises rebellion which contrasts with the white clothing. As well as this, others may see the mirrored image of the girl as being two sides of her showing that she is trying to defeat her mental torment inside.



The reception theory by Stuart Hall suggests that the audience interprets the text in different ways and the use of metaphorical imagery with no clear narrative allows the viewer of my video to become active rather than passive to interpret my music video. To make the audience more active in decoding my music video, I applied abstract elements to my music video that paired with the lyrics allowed my audience to think deeper about the meaning of the video. The target audience is able to interpret the media text by encoding the video (in this case the producer which is me) with such ideologies of feeling lost, the scribbling of the pen and paper, the smoke and other abstract ideas. Then the viewer (in this case my target audience) will decode the music video in different way and will all not come to the same conclusion because they will interpret the video in different ways from their experiences or other factors that contribute such as their ages, gender or even the mood they felt during watching the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment